Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Tuesday 29th September 2009

No pictures today sadly. It's really annoying that my best ideas for subjects come around 2am when I'm trying to sleep. I try to keep a note of the better ones in the draft section of my phones text messages but I either forget all about them or I've no idea what I've actually put down. This is quite common especially for people who I text whilst asleep.

Anyways I did this quiz that was supposed to give the sex of your brain. Part one was about looking at angles and matching the angle shown to the one on the diagram, I found this rather easy and apparently men do find it easier than women.

The second part of the test was spot the difference, you had memorise a set of objects for one minute then after that minute they switched around. The average score for men is 39% and the average score for women is 46%, that shocked me, I got in the 80% range, I didn't think it was that hard. Apparently women do better at men in this part so that balances out my male brain from part one.

Then it asked about clasping your hands together and seeing which thumb is on top. My left thumb was on top so apparently the right side of my brain is dominant. It says " you may excel in visual, spatial and intuitive processes. " I don't think so.

Part three asked a few questions, for empathising and systemising. Average for men is 7.9 / 20 and average for women is 10.6 / 20......I got 7 / 20 oh dear. It states

" Empathisers are better at accurately judging other people's emotions and responding appropriately. If you scored 15 and above, you are very empathic and would be an ideal person to comfort people in a time of crisis. Women in general are better at empathising. "

Thankfully I'm not in a caring job then if this test is anything to go by.

The systemising section of this part states

" Systemisers prefer to investigate how systems work. A system can be a road map, flat pack furniture, or a mathematical equation – anything that follows a set of rules. A score of 15 and above suggests you're good at analysing or building systems. Men in general are better at systemising. "

I achieved a score higher than average for men and greatly higher than that of women. I feel it's quite correct since I am rather good with equations and numbers. With that I think I should be clearly male brained by now.

The next part of this asked you to look at a series of eyes and pick an emotion that the eyes seem to tell. The average for both men and women was 6.6/10 and my score was 7/10 so about average. However it states

" Your result suggests you are a good empathiser, sensitive to other people's emotions. Women generally fall into this category."

So that completely contradicts what the first part says.

Part four was to do with the length of your ring and index fingers. Average for men was 0.982 and for women was 0.991. My results came to
Right hand 0.91
Left hand 0.96
Slightly worrying that one of my fingers is so different in length, I assumed they'd all be the same.

It states

"
It's thought that your ratio is governed by the amount of testosterone you were exposed to in your mother's womb. The ratio of the length of your index finger to the length of your ring finger is set for life by as early as three months after conception. Even during puberty, when we experience intensive hormonal changes, the ratio stays the same.

Men generally have a ring finger that is longer than their index finger, which gives them a lower ratio than women, whose ring and index fingers are usually of equal length."

So I must be like super manly by now.

Part five was looking at faces, thank god it wasn't faeces. It showed 21 different pairs of faces and you had to rate them according to which you preferred. My results showed I prefer more feminine faces but I'm pretty sure I knew that anyway. It does state something strange though that I didn't know,

"Interestingly, women's preferences are said to vary across the menstrual phase. A more masculine face is preferred during the 9 days prior to ovulation, when conception is most likely."

Part six asked you to mentally rotate 3D shapes and select the correct one(s) from four. I found this not too hard since I actually did something very similar in a job test recently. Again men are said to get more correct.

It then asked you to write as many words as you can think of associated with grey and then happy. Women do slightly better than men in this test but they don't actually correct the words so you could write horse down 25 times to make yourself look smart.

Weirdly the average score for men was 11.4 words and for women was 12.4.

However it states,

"If you produced 1 - 5 words: You are more of the strong, silent type with a male brain. You probably find it easier to express yourself in non-verbal ways, preferring action rather than words.

If you produced 6 - 10 words: Most people in this range have a female-type brain."

So that means basically nobody has a male brain for that task

Lastly it gives you an ultimatum, you are given £50 to split with someone, what would you demand? I said £25 since that's basically fair. The test says men are more likely to want a bigger percentage of the money than women due to higher testosterone levels tend to make people risk more.

After all that I found out apparently I have a female brain, not sure how but that's what it said. However then it states

"Bear in mind that your performance may be affected by many factors in addition to gender, like age and intelligence."

So basically I just wasted my time to find out nothing.

OK well that's taken up a fair amount of room, I was originally planning on writing about something else but I'll leave that for tomorrow now, as long as I remember.

Oh and doing a spellchecker on this wasn't a good idea, too many things are wrong according to American English.

2 comments:

  1. Really. That test seems a little off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the test was very off. From now on I'll stick to stories about parachuting bears.

    ReplyDelete